Friday, January 1, 2016

Pinned: Welcome, ground rules, and such

(I'm overdue to set up some kind of introduction. This post will stay at the top of the page -- that's the reason for the weird date. New stuff will appear just below.)

(continues below the jump)
Thanks for stopping by. My name's Chris Willrich (rhymes with "stitch.") I'm a former librarian (I'm still in the ALA) who writes fantasy and science fiction. I'm also a fan of tabletop roleplaying games, and I've done some RPG tie-in writing. I appreciate your interest in my work.

This blog is for things that cross my mind, usually focusing on fiction, games, photos or artwork, and the odd holiday greeting. I may occasionally talk about politics or religion or other things that may require reaching for the fire extinguisher, but that's not the focus here.

My books are:

The Scroll of Years: A Gaunt and Bone novel

The Silk Map: A Gaunt and Bone novel

Pathfinder Tales: The Dagger of Trust

You can read some of my short fiction online:

"The Mermaid and the Mortal Thing" at Lightspeed Magazine (a Gaunt and Bone story)

"The Sword of Loving Kindness" at Beneath Ceaseless Skies (a Gaunt and Bone story)

"How the Wicker Knight Would Not Move" at Beneath Ceaseless Skies (set in Gaunt and Bone's world)

"The Mote-Dancer and the Firelife" at Beneath Ceaseless Skies (a science fiction story, in my very-slowly-developing "Nightgift" universe)

You can also find podcasts of some of my stories:

"How the Wicker Knight Would Not Move" at BCS, read by Michael J. DeLuca

"The Mote-Dancer and the Firelife" at BCS, read by Cat Rambo

"Waiting for a Me Like You" at StarShipSofa, read by Jonathan Danz (a science fiction story originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Nov/Dec 2012)

Comments

You could imagine this space as a quiet party in someone's living room, where the guests may share many of your interests, but not necessarily your age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof), nationality, cis- or trans- status, or favorite Firefly episode. So be polite, with that diversity in mind. For that matter, be polite, period. Racist jokes, sexist slams, clever digs at members of religious group X -- none of these will go over well here. If this seems too restrictive, well, there are many places on the internet that more resemble a soapbox-filled marketplace than a living room and I wish you joy in them.

That all said, I will try to maintain a thick skin about comments directed toward me and my work. Readers should not be afraid to criticize what an author says or writes. I do feel empowered to end a conversation with, "That's all I have to say for now, thanks."

The internet is a venue for lively discussion, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur in this regard, and I'm perhaps less plugged in than most. So, my failure to respond to, or remove, a comment, should not be taken as a sign of agreement or disagreement but as an indication that I'm busy elsewhere. If it looks like the site is getting a lot of attention and that I simply can't keep up with it, I will have to reconsider how to handle comments.

Notes on Appearances

I'm glad to make presentations about my work, or about writing in general. I don't charge fees for library or school visits unless getting to your site is especially difficult to me. (I'm located on the San Francisco Peninsula.) Bear in mind that my schedule is crazy at the best of times, and I might be up against deadlines, so it could be tricky working out a good time.

I'm honored if you would like to invite me to a convention. Please note that I've signed on to author John Scalzi's statement on convention harassment policies, and I endorse author N.K. Jemisin's emphasis that the policy should be interpreted to cover all forms of harassment, not sexual harassment only. Basically, please have a policy stating you won't tolerate harassment of or by con-goers, make it clear how to report harassment, be prepared to respond when trouble comes up, and make your policy known. For some resources on developing a policy, please see the Geek Feminism Wiki. Thanks.

Fan Fiction and/or Use in RPG Gaming

Really, I should be so lucky. But, seriously, if anyone does want to write fan fiction based on my characters or situations, or use them in a gaming context, I sure don't have a problem with it. (And it isn't as if I could stop you!) Indeed, I'm flattered. Just understand that a) you shouldn't try to profit monetarily by it; and b) I will avoid reading your work, to ensure there's no chance of accidental cross-pollination.

(EDITS: 1. Comments are closed on this particular post. 2. Added a note to explain the weird date stamp.)