Friday, September 9, 2011

Tweetable Tales

Snowflake via electron microscope. Source: USDA via Wikimedia Commons
Last month I fired off ten fiction snippets via Twitter. It was a fun exercise and I think I'll try it again this month. I don't think I can manage anything like a "story" at this length, but I hope these amuse. Here's the August set. The first one originally appeared at @outshine, edited by Jetse De Vries, a Twitter-zine of optimistic near-future science fiction.


The Lunarcade! For shiny full-moon quarters you remote-drive lunar rovers. Can you master 1.28 second delay? Tag lunar ore, get high score.


The ad men tested DreamTouch with the meat campaign. All NYC woke from red dreams hissing, "It's what's for dinner." And so we have zombies.


My augmented toddler grabbed my credit stick and ran into the public teleport booth. I hate hide and seek.


A lonely ghost tried to keep us inside with scary "street" noise. Didn't work. It entered our tv, inventing its own local news. That worked.


In Universe1, time travel is impossible.
possible. In Universe2, time travel is
.sdrawkcab snur emit 3esrevinU nI
inUniverse4alltimeisone


But, officer, I have sentient AI installed in this car. Surely I can drive in the high-occupancy lane.


The liner returned before it left. I asked myself about the trip. "Terrible," I told me. I let myself get bumped for credit. I love FTL.


The supers defeated Lord Retcon. In a flash it was 1938. The First smiled. "One life, one chance, is all I ask." He ran to block the train.


The alien conquerers made us choose a King from Earth's history to rule over us. But we shall overcome. We picked MLK.


After centuries Cupid reemerged over Toronto. Startled, he shot wild at the biplane and hit a young woman watching the show. Fly on, Amelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment